Saturday, May 8, 2010

Easter Jelly Bean Pizza Cookie


Okay, I am a little behind in this post, but with two little kids it is hard to keep up sometimes. Now enough with the excuses. When I posted on facebook that I was eating a jelly bean pizza, a few people thought I may be pregnant. After emphatically stating that wasn't the case, I explained it was a pre-Easter treat I'd made for the kids. All I did to make it was whip up some sugar cookie dough, shape it into a large "crust," frost it with vanilla frosting (see below), and then sprinkle with jelly beans. I used the kind from Pangea, which is the traditional flavored jelly beans I remember from my childhood.

Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
1cup margarine (I use Earth Balance Buttery Sticks)
3 - 4 cups powdered sugar
2 Tbsp. vanilla
4-6 Tbsp. soy milk, almond, rice or hemp work well too (vanilla is best)

Cream margarine, half of the sugar, and vanilla together. Add the rest of the powdered sugar and soy milk slowly alternating between the two and mixing between additions. You can vary the amount of soy milk or powdered sugar to obtain the best consistency for frosting.

Since the jelly bean pizza was a pre-cursor to Easter, I made a bunny cake for the big day. It was just enough to feed our family and guests with only a couple pieces left over. Perfect! I made it last year, and posted directions on how to make it prior to Easter. It is a simple box mix and purchased pre-made icing (Cherrybrook Kitchen vanilla icing and Betty Crocker gluten free yellow cake mix). Below is this year's version with less scary eyes (my hubby said last year's looked like he was deceased). He is blunt with his opinions, but I appreciate the honesty. Not too vegan to have a "dead" bunny cake. The eyes were more friendly this year, because I agreed with his observation.




1 comment:

  1. We love your Easter Jelly Bean Pizza Cookie! We will definitely be featuring it on our site!

    all the best,
    Sherry + Wendy @ Kiboomu

    ReplyDelete